View towards Medford Square from the top of College Hill (Tufts College), ca. 1910. The tree-lined Avenue stretching left to right is College Avenue, also known as The Willows. The Boston & Maine Railroad parallels the bottom of the image, with College Hill Station appearing at the bottom left. Behind the station is Pansy Park, a pansy nursery. To the left of Pansy Park is property belonging to the Stearns Estate. Across College Avenue are the clay pits.
Photograph of Eaton Hall in the winter in 1950. Eaton Hall served as the library from its construction in 1908 until the construction of Wessell Library in 1964. The busts of John Brown and George L. Stearns were at one point on exhibit here at one point..
Photograph of Ballou Hall, the first building on the campus of Tufts College, 6 years after it was opened. Until East Hall was constructed in 1860, Ballou Hall was the college's only building and it provided space for classrooms, a dormitory, a chapel, and a library. Originally called simply College Hall, Ballou Hall was renamed after named after Hosea Ballou II, the college's first president.
Black-and-white photograph of an untitled oil-on-board painting known as "College Hill from Medford," attributed to Benjamin Champney, ca. 1865 (Tufts University Permanent Collection AI 07400). The painting shows the Paul Curtis house and Ballou Hall of Tufts College in the distance, as seen from north of the Mystic River, ca. 1855.
Goddard Chapel soon after it was constructed on the campus of Tufts College, 1883. By the end of the 19th century, a plaque commemorating Dr. Edwin Hubbell Chapin had been placed inside the chapel, where it remains today.
Photograph of College Station at the corner of the Boston & Maine Railroad (foreground) and College Avenue (left). When the new Tufts College Station was built to the south, this building became occupied by Tufts College Press.
Photograph of the view towards Medford from East Hall, Tufts College. The Stearns Estate mansion is located in the trees to the middle right. The caption reads, "View toward Medford from East Hall, 1875. The railroad cut is in front of the stonewall in the foreground. The farm house of the Stearns estate is seen in the lower left corner, and the mansion house in the right center. The end chimneys of the Royall House are seen in the center of the picture and, to the left of the house, the pointed object is the summer house that at one time stood on a mound in the Royall garden."
View of the Stearns Estate and beyond that Medford from College Hill. The Stearns Estate mansion is located in among the trees in the lower left quadrant. The caption reads, "The Medford view in '74. This is somewhat to the east of the one above which brings the Stearns house near the left of the picture. The Royall House is the building with four end chimneys near the center of the picture. In the lower right hand corner the tower of the old Stearns windmill is barely visible."
Holiday card from the Fletcher School dean Jack Galvin and his wife Ginny. At the time they were living in the Paul Curtis House at 114 South Street, Medford, which was owned by Tufts University. (Note: The images of this card have been digitally rearranged.)
View towards Medford from Ballou Hall, 1876, showing nearly the entirely Stearns Estate. The caption reads, "View from Ballou in 1876. Middle Hall [Packard Hall] in the center with an end of East Hall at the right. The entire Stearns estate is shown from the farm buildings to the windmill tower, also much of the plot of ground now occupied by Cousens Gym. The stone bank wall at the front of Middle Hall, shown in the 1856 and 1867 views of the building, has been swung to the east parallel with the front of the building. The Royall House and the summer house show clearly. The R.R. [railroad] cut and Boston Ave. are beyond the road, which lies beyond the clothes line." The mansion house of the Stearns Estate is visible just about the roof of Packard Hall.
Quarter-plate daguerreotype of John Brown holding what is believed to be an antislavery flag. This is the earliest photograph of John Brown known to exist. It was taken by black photographer Augustus Washington in Hartford, Connecticut.
National Portrait Gallery, Smithsonian Institution; purchased with major acquisition funds and with funds donated by Betty Adler Schermer in honor of her great-grandfather, August M. Bondi
Commemorative cast bronze memorial plaque of the Reverend Edwin Hubbell Chapin by Augustus Saint-Gaudens. In 1891, the plaque was donated to Tufts Collage and soon thereafter placed in Goddard Chapel. A notice in the school newspaper reads, "A replica of the bas-relief of Dr. Chapin in the Church of the Divine Paternity, New York City, has been presented to the college and will soon be placed in the chapel. This bas-relief is considered by good critics one of the masterpieces of St. Gaudens." (Tuftonian, vol. 17, no. 16 [5 June 1891], page 236)
Image courtesy of the Tufts University Permanent Collection: Gift of Friends of E.H. Chapin, AI 05500
Page on which are reproductions of photographs of John Brown's Northern Supporters, known as the Secret Six: George L. Stearns, Gerrit Smith, Frank B. Sanborn, T. W. Higginson, Theodore Parker and Samuel G. Howe. This six funded John Brown's raid on Harpers Ferry.
Image courtesy of the West Virginia State Archives, John Brown/Boyd B. Stutler Collection.
Photograph of a wagon in the distance on College Avenue in Medford near Tufts College, circa 1870. The trees lining the street gave its nickname "The Willows." The Stearns Estate bordered College Avenue.
Cabinet card featuring the John Brown bust owned by Mary E. Stearns. This cabinet card was printed by Litchfield Studios in Arlington, MA. A handwritten note on the back of the card reads, "John Brown. From the Bust taken while awaiting Execution in the Virginia Prison, by order of Mrs. George L. Stearns, October 1859. This is the only marble Bust of the Martyr, at present writing - 1919 - in the world. It was only secured by the earnest entreaty of Mrs. Stearns, for whom, and his faithful friend Mr. Stearns, he cherished warm regard. E. A. Brackett, Sculptor."
Highboy (chest of drawers) acquired by Tufts College from the Stearns Estate around 1919, now (2017) located in the third floor lobby of Ballou Hall. Family tradition maintained that the this piece of furniture was made by Benjamin Frothingham, Jr., of Charlestown. In 1971, this highboy was located in the Wessell Library. In 1950, this highboy was located in the Gott Memorial Room in Eaton Library. This photograph was taken in August 2017.
Bronze relief by Augustus Saint-Gaudens commemorating Colonel Robert Gould Shaw and the 54th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment, the first formally recognized black regiment in the Union. The Memorial is borders the Boston Common and Beacon Street across from the front steps of the Massachusetts State House in Boston. The memorial took the artist 13 years to complete. It was dedicated on May 31, 1897. Visible in the upper corner are the Latin words "Omnia relinquit servare rempublicam," which translates to "He relinquished everything to serve the Republic." This photograph was taken in August 2017.
Albumen print of Sojourner Truth, formerly enslaved, seated with photograph of her grandson, James Caldwell of Company H, 54th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment, on her lap. Caldwell was held as a prisoner-of-war by the Confederacy at James Island, South Carolina, 1863-1865.
Courtesy of the Library of Congress, Liljenquist Family collection
Photograph of Brackett's bust of John Brown showing a 3D-printed plastic replacement nose. With the plastic nose, conservators were able to make a cast and then a new plaster nose. This photograph was taken in 2016 as the bust was being restored.
Brackett, Edward Augustus
Image courtesy of the Tufts University Permanent Collection
A tech from 3D Printsmith 3D-scanning both the damaged bust of John Brown and an undamaged plaster copy from the Boston Athenaeum. This was done in order to prepare an exact, 3D-printed copy of the nose and eyebrow for the damaged bust. This photograph was taken in May 2016.
Image courtesy of the Tufts University Permanent Collection
Photograph of Tufts College from the clay pits on the southeast side of College Avenue. Visible in the center are the willows trees that lined College Avenue. Also visible is the College Avenue bridge over the railroad tracks. Visible Tufts buildings are Curtis Hall, Paige Hall, Goddard Chapel, East Hall, Ballou Hall, Packard Hall, and West Hall.
Courtesy of the Medford Historical Society & Museum