Contact Us

The Magnet and the Iron: John Brown and George L. Stearns The Stories Behind the Busts

Rev. Edwin Hubbell Chapin

Exhibit Description:
Commemorative cast bronze memorial plaque of the Reverend Edwin Hubbell Chapin by Augustus Saint-Gaudens. In 1891, the plaque was donated to Tufts Collage and soon thereafter placed in Goddard Chapel. A notice in the school newspaper reads, "A replica of the bas-relief of Dr. Chapin in the Church of the Divine Paternity, New York City, has been presented to the college and will soon be placed in the chapel. This bas-relief is considered by good critics one of the masterpieces of St. Gaudens." (Tuftonian, vol. 17, no. 16 [5 June 1891], page 236)
Source:
Tufts University Permanent Collection
Attribution:
Saint-Gaudens, Augustus
Attribution Statement:
Image courtesy of the Tufts University Permanent Collection: Gift of Friends of E.H. Chapin, AI 05500
Exhibit Tags:
Edwin H. Chapin, plaques, Tufts University, Tufts University Permanent Collection, photographs, Medford, Goddard Chapel, and Tuftonian