Contact Us

The Magnet and the Iron: John Brown and George L. Stearns The Stories Behind the Busts

View from Ballou Hall, 1876

Date:
1876
Exhibit Description:
View towards Medford from Ballou Hall, 1876, showing nearly the entirely Stearns Estate. The caption reads, "View from Ballou in 1876. Middle Hall [Packard Hall] in the center with an end of East Hall at the right. The entire Stearns estate is shown from the farm buildings to the windmill tower, also much of the plot of ground now occupied by Cousens Gym. The stone bank wall at the front of Middle Hall, shown in the 1856 and 1867 views of the building, has been swung to the east parallel with the front of the building. The Royall House and the summer house show clearly. The R.R. [railroad] cut and Boston Ave. are beyond the road, which lies beyond the clothes line." The mansion house of the Stearns Estate is visible just about the roof of Packard Hall.
Source:
Tufts DCA
Attribution Statement:
Tufts Digital Collections and Archives
Exhibit Tags:
Packard Hall, Stearns Estate, Medford, photographs, Tufts DCA, Tufts University, and buildings