Contact Us

The Magnet and the Iron: John Brown and George L. Stearns The Stories Behind the Busts

The Stearns Estate, 1899

Date:
1944
Exhibit Description:
This painting shows the Stearns mansion in the center right and the farmhouse to the far right. In the distance on the hill are the buildings of Tufts College, with the tower of Goddard Chapel, East Hall, and West Hall visible through the trees. The road to the left is College Avenue; at the time it was known as the Willows because of the trees on either side. At the corner of College Avenue and the railroad tracks is College Hill train station. The Boston & Lowell Railroad operated on the tracks that separated Tufts College from the Stearns Estate's orchards.
Source:
Tufts University Permanent Collection
Attribution:
William Hauk
Attribution Statement:
Image courtesy of the Tufts University Permanent Collection
Source URL:
Exhibit Tags:
paintings, Stearns Estate, College Avenue, Tufts University, George L. Stearns, Tufts University Permanent Collection, Ballou Hall, Goddard Chapel, East Hall, West Hall, College Hill Station, Curtis Hall, Packard Hall, Medford, Mary E. Stearns, Paige Hall, and Miner Hall